26 February 2007

Differences

OK so here is what I am thinking. Being this American in a nation of Europe. I thoroughly enjoy seeing my country from this stand point. I mean really, can you see the whole picture when you are just a fraction of it? No, of course not. That's why non Americans know more about America than the Americans. And whether you like to admit it or not, they really do. Now, I didn't always like it, seeing what others saw about my country. I wasn't exactly gun ho about my country but it's mine and well you always have certain patriotism to it. Sitting on this side looking in made me see a lot I didn't like. It showed me a side I hadn't known existed to the extent that it does. But being has I have seen this point of view for some time now I have gotten used to it. I am not surprised as much as I used to be. Talking to my mother and other people about how after five years of having a residence permit here I can go for my citizenship I have come to a really big conclusion. I will give it up and become Dutch when I can. I will no longer be considered American when that time comes. I will be a Dutch National. And I tell you, it isn't as scary of a decision as I thought it would be. It actually seems fairly simple. When you factor the reasons why I will do this it seems almost funny that I pondered it for so long because every time I did I came to the same conclusion. OK. Let’s go here for a second. In my own country I cannot marry as I want. I cannot bring my partner. I know what you’re thinking; I am making this decision based on just this. Of course not. Though if your country said you were wrong and you weren't normal and had no rights wouldn't you feel just as disgusted? I think you would. Americans have a money hungry, power driven president who really doesn't care for the good of the people. Rather he thinks with power and money. Americans (whether you admit it or not) live in a place where, yes, your media is censored. I hear about things you don't. I have asked family and friends, have you heard about this? Or did you hear about that? And they go no, what? I would have more protections under Dutch and European law than I would in my own country. If I get my citizenship I can live anywhere in the European Union without question just as US people can move state to state. If I intend on living my days with my woman in this nation then why keep ties to a country I have no intention of living in again? What is the point? Do you see one that I am not? I know right now I am only going for my permit. And when I get it I will be able to function in this nation almost like everyone else. When my five years come up I can go for my citizenship and function just as any other national here. Why not want that? I talk to my father and he says to me, the Dutch can do that? How does that work? Would that work here? Of course it would, just the American Government wont try it. Whatever the case is the answers are the same. The American Government won’t do it unless it benefits the Government and it doesn't matter if it would benefit the people. What exactly is the point of this post? I don't think I have one.

No comments: